Wednesday 21 September 2011

a parenting book worth a read

Parenting can be a challenging business. There are no hard and fast strategies of how to raise your children, and seemingly as many different theories and books on the subject as there are stars on a cold, cloudless night. The bible clearly states that children are a blessing and that parents are to love, discipline and teach them. However, in this world of conflicting philosophies and ever changing recommendations by "parenting professionals", choosing who to follow can be a dizzying prospect. Most parents are desperate for their children to succeed but aren't even sure what they mean by success.

I have my own opinions and experience on this subject but am not an expert so am often afraid to voice them. I am reluctant to criticize other parents when I haven't walked in their shoes or lived in their homes. In my own desire to be politically correct I have remained silent when my heart has cried to God over the brokeness I see in families. I know that the problems are largely systemic and can't be solved with simple band aid solutions or how-to-parent manuals.

So, having said all of that, I am now going to boldly say that I am LOVING this parenting book I have been reading! It speaks from an attachment perspective and holds to the conviction that the breakdown of parent- child attachment is the root cause of many other parenting issues. The book is called Hold On To Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Mate. Of course it is only one theory on the issue, but one that I think is brilliant. I won't try to give my own description of the book because I could never do it justice. Check it out, it is well worth a read.

1 comment:

  1. I saw Gabor Mate give a lecture on addictions. He has what I think is a very balanced perspective on addictions.

    ReplyDelete