Wednesday 3 August 2011

The Greatest Little Tour Guide

I often find myself trying to hurry the kids through the routines of the evening so that they can get to bed at a decent time. It is so much harder to settle everyone for the night when the sun hasn't yet set and when their daddy is away and can't cuddle and pray with each of them. So, the other night I tried to run down to the field to bring the horse in for the night while the kids got on their PJs. The youngest wasn't going to let me go on my own so I reluctantly brought him with me knowing it would slow down my quick job.  First, he had to find his yellow boots. He insisted that shoes or sandals were NOT appropriate "Mommy I da farmer" he explained. Fair enough, boots are much better in poop than sandals. Then he was determined to walk down to the barn in spite of the fact that he tripped twice between the door and the edge of the patio. Excitedly he half ran, half stumbled his way across the yard. Once in the barn, he designated himself as the rope carrier. "Mommy, you carry the halter"- wow, who can argue with a 2 year old that knows what a halter is! Awkwardly he carried the lead rope by himself all the way out to the field where we both agreed that I should be the one to put the halter on our horse. However, on the return trip he proudly held on to the end of the rope while he pointed out everything that caught his attention.  He laughed as we passed the goats in the field "you see that, you see that goat mommy". And as we continued "mommy, look at that big tree", "mommy, you see that bird? It goes caw caw", "look mommy, the piggies say oink oink", "mommy, you hear that airplane?"

Yep, little J sure had the right idea. What was the hurry? If I hadn't slowed down enough to take him I might have missed out on enjoying the beauty of God's creation and I certainly would have missed out on the greatest evening walk I have had in a long time- with my little boy at my side so eager to please me, so eager to share all that he was learning and experiencing. I silently prayed for forgiveness as we returned to the house. I know that these are the moments I will cherish for years. "Sorry Lord for being in such a hurry that I almost missed out on your blessing. Sorry for being more worried about the clock than the growth of my child's character. Sorry for not slowing down and asking for your strength and guidance on these busy evenings." And as He always does, He forgave. With a smile and renewed patience I returned thankfully to the evening routine- later than I had planned but happier too!

1 comment:

  1. All those little unexpected times that we would miss out on if we stuck to "the plan". What a great memory.

    ReplyDelete