Sunday 7 August 2011

Vacation time!

Summer holidays- relaxing, stress free fun. Well kind of, except for the packing. I find the packing has become exponentially more difficult over the years. Not only do we need more stuff with more children, but I have become more uptight about making sure we have enough food, clothing and comforts to last. Since this particular holiday involves boating to remote destinations, there isn't the option to stop at a store if we need to pick something up. The past few days I have just kept telling myself "it will be worth it once we are there". Now we are here and it was worth it.

My hubby and I sipped on drinks on the deck of our rented boat this evening admiring the beauty of the surroundings while our children watched a DVD inside. The air was calm, the ocean like glass and the temperature perfect. What a blessing to be able to spend a week like this as a family. Of course today had its share of meltdowns and arguments but we can't expect to leave the realities of family life at home when we go on a vacation. I have sometimes been guilty of thinking that holidays should be a time of peaceful bliss. What a crazy notion! Who crams a family into a confined space with a new routine and expects it to be calm? Wishful thinking, I know. God has been revealing to me that unrealistic expectations breed disappointment and unthankfulness. He has a wonderful plan for us when we adventure together as a family, but it won't unfold the way my simple little mind would like it to! God always has such a better itinerary when I commit each day to Him. I can't wait to see what He has in store for us over the next week. Thankfully I can still blog as long as we have cell service!

1 comment: