Saturday 30 July 2011

Hungry?

While I sit here considering which paint colour to put on my walls, a mother half a world away considers which child she will have to leave behind in order to get the rest of her family the life saving sustenance they desperately need. She walks barefoot across hot sand for a hundreds of kilometres to carry her babes to safety, I try to decide which pair of shoes would look best with my outfit. I choose from the bounty of fresh produce in my garden, she no longer has the strength to nurse her own infant.

This is the world we live in. The famine in East Africa is estimated to have claimed over a million lives while we sit here overstuffing ourselves with entertainment, food, possessions. It is so much more comfortable to ignore this sickening reality but is ignorance really bliss? For me the answer is no. Opening my eyes has caused me to look for answers and try to think of a way that I could possibly make a difference to this woman I have never met. Should we send money, sponsor a child, join a relief effort? What can my family do to ease the pain and injustice of our unmet brothers and sisters? I am left with more questions than answers. With a lump in my throat  I open my bible and pray. Our world is a broken place and only Jesus holds the answers.

1 comment:

  1. Sarai these thoughts resonate with my own lately.
    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete