Sunday 17 July 2011

life together

For some people, living next door to their family would be a nightmare. I will agree that living next to certain family members wouldn't be my top choice. However, I am blessed to have my sister, brother-in-law and their 2 children living on the same property as us. I love the sense of community and shared experience that we have on our farm. Having to cooperate and communicate with another family stretches and shapes you in so many wonderful ways. It forces you to consider others before making decisions and to see things from a different perspective. It also reveals your own rough edges- something that can be humbling but character building. I have had to get over the fact that my house is rarely clean and tidy, that my dishes and laundry are never finished or that my children (or myself) don't always behave "appropriately". It has taught me forgiveness, graciousness and to keep my eyes on God as the redeemer, hope and source of true joy.

Our latest adventures together include raising 150 chicks and 5 pigs. Add this to the 5 sheep, 4 goats, horse, laying hens, garden, dogs and kids and it is often chaos but always a place full of life and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment