Monday 25 July 2011

Patience





I think that most people would agree that patience is a good, desirable character trait. Who doesn't love to deal with patient people at work, at the grocery store, in traffic, at home? How many of us haven't said to ourselves or repented to God that we were impatient at some point? I know that I can sure use more of it but I wish that it would just sprinkle down on me like a refreshing rain. Or, better yet, how about some patience in my morning cup of java? Nice and easy, not too messy, no effort involved.

Back to reality. Patience doesn't come in pill form or as a flavour of ice cream. It is learned through life, experience and prayer. It doesn't just happen, it is learned. Darn.

Loving and parenting my kids has be a particularly rich lesson in patience lately. Our energetic, strong-willed children have kept me walking in prayer! They have had their fair share of meltdowns, arguements and complaints this week. So, I have been forced to learn patience. Although I sometimes wish I could just have well behaved children that never fight or complain, I know that God teaches us through life. Todays lesson involved a family geo caching walk through some nearby trails. My husbands idea sounded like a great way to get out for a walk and have fun treasure hunting together. Instead, C, G and S spent a large part of the time arguing over who would hold the GPS. The rest of the time there was a lot of "I'm smokin' hot", "I forgot to wear socks and now I have blisters", "my legs are tired", "I'm hungry", "carry me", "it's my turn to choose the treasure from the cache", "this isn't fair" etc. Fortunately J was in the backpack so didn't get in on much of the action. Our 13 year old arthritis ridden, short of breath old lab also decided to follow us. The kids were worried that he wouldn't make it home and constantly voiced their concerns.

How do I choose to respond in these situations? I can either wish that it was different or embrace the fact that God has blessed us with beautiful children that He uses to shape us more and more into the image of Christ. Thank you Lord that you have allowed me to learn through the gift of motherhood.

3 comments:

  1. Well written! You are a wise woman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your insight, especially the ending

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love to go geocaching, call us next time.

    ReplyDelete